We consider that the development of reading skills is of the utmost importance both in itself and as a means of accessing other curriculum areas.
Our aims in teaching Literacy are that all children will
· Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding;
· Understand the sound and spelling system and use this to read and spell accurately;
· Have fluent and legible handwriting;
· Understand and be able to write in a range of genres in fiction and poetry,
· Understand, use and be able to write a range of non-fiction texts;
· Plan, draft, revise and edit their own writing;
· Have an interest in words and a growing vocabulary through which to understand and discuss their reading and writing;
· Be interested in books, read with real enjoyment
· Develop their powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness
· Become confident speakers and discerning listeners
We use Jolly Phonics and Oxford Reading Tree as our main teaching schemes, but supplement these with many other learning experiences and resources to ensure that children's progress is thoroughly embedded.
Our new spelling idea is explained in the notes below:-