Intent - Our vision
At St Nics', we consider that the development of reading skills is of the utmost importance both in itself and as a means of accessing other curriculum areas.
Our aims in teaching Literacy are that all children will:
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding;
- Understand the sound and spelling system and use this to read and spell accurately;
- Have fluent and legible handwriting;
- Understand and be able to write in a range of non-fiction texts and a wide range of genres in fiction and poetry;
- Plan, draft, revise and edit their own writing;
- Have an interest in words and a growing vocabulary through which to understand and discuss their reading and writing;
- Be interested in books, read with real enjoyment
- Develop their powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness;
- Become confident, articulate speakers and discerning listeners.
Implementation - How we deliver this to achieve our goal
At St Nics’, literacy is taught not only in literacy and phonics lessons, but also through a range of cross-curricular experiences. Children are given the opportunity to practise, apply and embed the skills they have learnt over time and through practical and purposeful activities across the curriculum. We have invested in high quality books to enhance our children's understanding of all subject areas, from RE to maths and diversity.
Emphasis is placed on confidence and depth of understanding, which means ensuring children have mastered the fundamental skills and are confident and secure enough to apply them in different contexts as well as using rich, inspiring resources and texts to stretch, challenge, deepen and enhance the learning experience and love of reading and writing.
We use Twinkl Phonics as our teaching scheme, but supplement this with many other learning experiences and resources to ensure that children's reading and writing progress is thoroughly embedded.
Impact - How we know our vision has come to fruition
Our children are ready for the next stage of their educational journey through:
- An enjoyment of the subject and learning with confidence and a sense of achievement
- Acquiring a high standard of proficiency including confidence to read and write a wide range of text types, both fiction and non-fiction.
- Understanding that reading, writing and spoken language is useful in all aspects of life and can be used to make sense of the real world as well as transport us to distant or imaginary lands.
Phonics Digraph Song
http://www.epicphonics.com A phase 3 digraph video to help children learn the following digraphs: ch, sh, ai, th, ee, ng, igh